TOURIST PLACES OF BANGLADESH

DHAKA CITY:

National Parliament HouseDhaka city situated on the banks of the river Buriganga , Dhaka is the capital  of Bangladesh first came into prominence  Islam khan chishti  in 1610 AD than  Subader & chief-of-Army of Mughal Army in Bengal transferred the capital of Subah Banglah from Rajmahal to Dhaka. Today it is a busy city of around 16 million people and the 9th  biggest of the world. A people who love to chat of tea and snacks; who love to eat road side food and people who love their cricket and football. People knows town of mosque & was called the city of rickshaw. Dhaka houses many old and new attractions. some of the most popular tourist spots of this city includes Shankharia bazaar (Hindu street), Ahsan manzil (Pink Palace), Sadarghat (river front), Armenian Church, Star mosque, Shakeswari temple, Lalbagh fort, Rickshaw art, Curzon Hall, Kamlapur Buddhist temple, Bashundhara shopping mall, National assembly building etc.

Bangladesh creates an unforgettable impression of a land of peace, tranquility and enormous beauty; land of hundreds of serpentine rivers, crystal clear water lakes surrounded by the evergreen hills, luxuriant tropical rain forests, beautiful cascades of green tea gardens.

This Largest delta in the world rises from the Bay of Bengal and goes up to the footsteps of the Himalayas. The mighty Bay of Bengal guards its coats.

WORLD HERITAGE & ARCHAEOLOGICAL SITES FOR HISTORY & CULTURE:

An important site of the Ganges delta, Bangladesh was an integral part of the medieval civilizations that inhabited these regions. Although a country considerably rich in archaeological wealth, both during the Muslim and pre-Muslim rules, most of it is still unknown. The earlier history of Bangladesh reveals that Buddism received royal patronage from some important ruling dynasties like the great Pala rulers, the Chandras and the Deva Kings. Under their support, numerous well-organized, self-contained monastries sprang up all over the country. These monastries once thriving with life were also greatly appreciated and written about by travelers like Ibne Battuta, Fa-Shien and Hiuen Tsabg. With two archeological sites labeled as UNESCO World Heritage Sites, Bangladesh still has much to reveal beneath her plains.

KELLA AURANGABAD > LALBAGH FORT: DHAKA

 During Mughal period Emperor Aurangazeb appointed his 3rd son prince MD. Azam as Subedero (Provincial Governor) of Bengal on 29th July 1678. Prince Azam started construction of this fort and named after his father as Killa Aurangabad. Before completion LALBAGH fort his father called him as  Subeder and to complete the fort. However due to death daughter of Shaista khan Iran Dukht nicknamed as Paribibi or fairy lady in 1684. Shaista Khan stopped its construction making the fort. After Shaista Khan started construction making the fort his daughter named as tomb of Paribibi. Where two other graves are Shamshad Begum 2nd daughter of Shaista Khan and his grand son Khodadad Khan . Other attractions are the audience hall, Lalbagh mosque museum and Hamman of Shaista khan

SADARGHAT TERMINAL: DHAKA

Sadarghat a large ghat or wharf at Dhaka city’s approach to the River Buriganga. Originally, it was built as a place for landing of boats, launches and even ships coming to Dhaka from other places. Established in the 19th Century, this is said to be one of the largest river ports in the world. Every day about 30,000 people and about 200 large and small passenger launches depart and arrive at the terminal.

 

 

 CHITTAGONG CITY:

Chittagong city situated on the banks of the river Karnaphuli, is the number one sea port and second largest city of Bangladesh .being a port city from early times Chittagong attracted people coming from many different areas and belonging to different religions and races. These international contacts left a lasting impact on the language, religion and culture of the place. Today it is also an important place for different industries of the country.

Besides being the gateway to some of the most attractive tourist spots of Bangladesh like Chittagong hill tract (CHT) , Cox’s bazaar ,ST. martins island etc. Chittagong has also got some very unique attractions of its own like ethnological museum, world war cemetery, Chatteshwari Temple, Fay’s lake, Patenga beach, Parir Pahar, Andar Killa etc.

NATURAL BEUTY & ETNIC CULTURE OF HIIL TRACTS IN CHITTAGONG

 Chittagong Hill Tracts:

The Chittagong Hill Tracts is the only extensive hill area in Bangladesh lies southern part of the country bordering Myanmar on the southeast, the Indian state of tripura on the north, Mizuram in the east & Chittagong plain land district on the west. The area of the Chittagong Hill Tracts is about 13,184 sq km, which is approximately one-tenth of the total area of Bangladesh.

The Chittagong Hill Tracts is divided into three individual districts. These are Rangamati; Khagrachhari and Bandarban districts. There are plenty of interesting places to visit in this area which is well connected by land from Chittagong and Cox’s Bazar. Soft trekking for a day or two in this area can be organized. Both in Rangamati & Bandarbans moderate accommodation facilities are available while at Khagrachhari it is rather limited. There is no doubt that meeting the ethnic people in their villages should be on top of your agenda while visiting this area, a cruise on the Kaptai Lake in Rangamati or driving to Chimbuk or Nilgiri can be very interesting and exciting too.

COX’S BAZAAR:

One of the longest stretches of beaches in the world the cox’s bazaar beach enjoys an unbroken stretch of up to 125km of natural terrain. Other than being one of the most popular tourist destinations for locals and visitors cox’s bazaar beach enjoys an unbroken stretch most popular tourist destinations for locals and visitor’s cox’s bazaar houses one of the most revered Buddhist monasteries of the modern day Buddhist who practices the Theravada sect of Buddhism. The Aggmeda Khyang monastery posted on a series of round timber columns is one of the most visited Buddhist sited of the region. The Ramu village at a distance of about 10 km offers the visitor a unique look into the lives of the locals as they sit outside their homes and weave the local hand crafted products. a famous wooden Buddhist monastery with many relics including a 13feet high image of the Buddha in bronze can also be found here.

MARTIN’S ISLAND: COX’S BAZAR

St. Martin’s Island or Narikel Jinjira (Coconut island) as it is locally known is the last frontier of the reached by the blue colored Nafriver , with the Burmese mountains on one side . bright yellow sand and a vibrant blue water, St. Martin’s is a corals .sans electricity and the modern amenities that come with a tourist destination, this off beat site still attracts huge crowds who enjoys traveling back to the basics. an active turtle population nests here and it is a famous  Tourist activity to watch them lay their eggs on the beach.

 

 

VARENDRA RESEARCH MUSEUM

Varendra Museum was the first museum to be established in erstwhile East Bengal in 1910. The museum started out as the collection for Varendra Investigation Society and got its current name in 1919. Since inception this museum has actively searched and researched history of the ancient Varendra Civilization. Excavation at Somapura Bihara was started by the society along with Calcutta University in 1923. In 1964, the museum became a part of Rajshahi University. The museum has a very rich collection of ancient stuffs from different parts of Bangladesh.

TAJHAT JAMINDAR PALACE – RANGPUR

This 20th Century palace was constructed by the local Jamindar, and was used as residence till 1950s, when government acquisitioned the estate. In the 1980s, Bangladesh Government used it as the local sit for the high court division of the Supreme Court. Later in the 1990s, shifting the high court, it was given to the archaeological authority that established a small museum on the first floor of the building. With a wide green belt around the building, it makes a good pastime for the tourists.

SIXTY DOMED MOSQUE

Shatgumbad Mosque is the largest of the Sultanate mosques in Bangladesh and one of the most impressive Muslim monuments in the whole of the Indian subcontinent, built in the 16th Century. The city was founded by a saint – warrior, Khan -e- Jahan Ulugh Khan by title, in the 15th century AD. The mosque does not have sixty Domes as the name might mislead, rather sixty Pillars and 77 domes. Probably the name sixty Gumbad (Pillars) turned into Gambud (Dome) to raise such name in Bangla.

The site occupies at least 9 sq. km area on the west of Bagerat town and has been enlisted in the category of world Cultural Heritage under the title ‘Historic Mosque City of Bagerhat’. At present it is dotted with several mounds, Mosques, reservoirs and tombs. Of them the most illustrious one is Saitgumbad Masjid, being the biggest older multi-domed Mosque of Bangladesh. There has a museum and a rest house in the Saitgumbad compound.

The mosque proper, built mainly of bricks, forms a vast rectangle and measures externally, inclusive of the massive two-storied towers on the angles, 48.77m from north to south and 32.92m from east to west. The huge of the building has been supported by Stone pillars. It is one of the three UNESCO heritage sites of Bangladesh and offers a tranquil neighborhood for the visitors.

NINE DOMED MOSQUES: BAGERHAT

Nine-Dome Mosque is located on the western bank of the Thakurdighi, less than half a kilometer in southwest to the tomb-complex of Khan Jahan. The mosque is now a protected monument of the Department of Archaeology, Bangladesh.

This 16th Century mosque is a brick-built square structure measuring about 16.76m externally and 12.19m internally. The 2.44m thick walls on the north, south and east sides are pierced with three arched-openings on each side; the central one, set within a rectangular frame, is larger than the flanking ones.
TOMB OF HAZRAT KHAN JAHAN ALI (R:): BAGERHAT

Khan Jahan Ali is a local ruler and celebrated sufi saint, who seems to have come to Bengal just after the sack of Delhi (1398) by Timur. He acquired the forest area of the Sundarbans as Jagir (Fief) from the sultan of Delhi and subsequently from the sultan of Bengal. He was a great builder. He founded some Townships, Mosques, Madrasahs and Sarais, Roads, Highways and Bridges, dug a large number of ponds in the districts of greater Jessore and Khulna.

This Saint Ruler died in 1459 and was buried in the tomb built by himself. He is revered by people and numerous people visit his tomb. An annual fair is held on the tomb premises in the first half of April every year

JAFFLONG: SYLHET

Jaflong is a beautiful attraction for the tourists with a background of hills in the Indian Border. It is only 60km from Sylhet Town and is situated beside the river Mari. The whole area is very ideal for cycling and walking.

MADHABKUNDO WATER FALL: SYLHET

ATGARH-KURIANA: BARISAL
This is a very old marketplace for the locality, held by the Shandha River. Farmers mainly from the surrounding areas come once in every week with their farm productions in traditional boats. Since surrounding locality is famous for guava plantation, the main item displayed in the market is guava. Visiting one such guava farm would be a memorable experience.

CHAKHHAR: BARISAL
This is the birth place of Sher-e-Bangla A K Fazlul Haque, the first mayor of the Kolkata city corporation and a very renowned political figure in the subcontinent. Apart from this, the whole area is beautiful and has few old mosques and markets.

BIRISHIRI: NETROKONA
Shusong Durgapur of Birishiri is located at Netrokona about 170 km north from Dhaka. It’s not only blessed by charismatic natural beauty, is also reach in ethnic culture as there are many ethnic groups like – Hajong, Garo, Achik and Mandi etc lives here. Many people around the world come here to learn the ethnic culture and livings.
The main attraction of Birishiri is the ceramic hill of Durgapur and the picturesque landscape along the Shomeshwari River.

SUNDARBAN FOREST: KHULNA

The Sundarban is the largest contiguous mangrove forest in the world covering over 10000 square kilometers of wilderness. This forest is considered as the richest mangrove forest in the world in terms of species diversity and is not only home to critically endanger Royal Bengal tiger but also other threatened wild species.

In 1999 the Sundarban came under UNESCO world heritage site. Recently a study from wildlife conservation society has identified three areas in the Sundarban mangrove forest as dolphin hotspots and the areas have been declared as wildlife sanctuaries for the conservations of threatened freshwater dolphin’s in 2012.

The vegetation of Sundarban is largely comprised of mangrove species some of the species mostly seen in the forest are sundry (Heritiera fomes) Keora (Sonneratia Apetala) Gewa (Excoecaria Agallocha) Golpata (Nypa Fruticans) Baen (Avicennia spp) etc.  Over 120 species of fishes and 270 species of birds have been recorded in the Sundarbans. This includes the rare masked Finfoot (Heliopais Personata) and the prized mangrove Pitta (Pitta Megarhyncha). About 32 species of mammals have been recorded in the first which includes a healthy population of threatened Ganges river dolphin (Platanista Gangetica) and Irrawaddy dolphin.

ROCKET STEAMER

Steam paddle boats, locally known as ‘Steamers’, ‘steamer rockets’ or simply ‘Rockets’, were introduced in Bangladesh in the second quarter of 19th Century. Originally these passenger vessels used to operate with steam engines produced in Denny yard on the Clyde. But in 1995 all of the steam engines have been replaced by diesel engines. The three rocket steamers that still operate between Dhaka and Khulna are Mahsud, Ostrich, and Lepcha. Having a trip on a steamer lets you relax for a while & gives you a very interesting introduction of the rural Bangladesh.

PUNDRANAGARA-MAHASTHANGARH:  BOGRA

Mahasthangarh is so far the oldest and largest archaeological site of Bangladesh, is about 12 km north of Bogra town and is connected by a good metalled road, the extensive site represents the wreckage of an ancient city (4th century  BC  to 14th century AD) called Pundranagara. The city was identified in 1879; the first regular excavation was conducted at the site in 1928-29 by the Archaeological Survey of India under the guidance of KN Diksit. It is roughly oblong (1.523 km by 1.371km) in shape encircled by high rampart with thick brick wall core at places and is entrenched on all sides save the east where the river Karatoya were flowing in ancient time. Inside the fort, however, still lie the remnants of temples, Stupas, Masques, a good volume of movable antiquities have also been salvaged from its ruins. They include silver punch marked coins, silver coated copper cast coins barring inscription, rouletted ware, NBPW, black slipware, blank and red ware, beads of semiprecious stones, terracotta plaques and toys, sculptures, objects of daily use and so on. But by far the most important one is a Brahmi Inscriptional slab datable to the 3rd cent. BC.  Around the fort for about 8 km excepting the east suburb, there are many older mounds and a rest – house near its north east corner. A mission of French Experts has been working in the site since 1993 in order to reveal its whole unknown past as peer an agreement with the Government of Bangladesh.

Latest findings indicate a total of 18 building levels and that the city was inhabited as early as 6th Century BC. Dwellers of the city were mainly traders, who traded to and from faraway countries. Allegedly the city was derelict after a great fire in the 15th Century, and had gone underground in few centuries. Govinda Bhita, Laksmindar Medh, Bhasu Vihar, Vihar Dhap, Mangalkot and Godaibadi Dhap are excavated sites located outside the city but within its vicinity. The site has an adjacent museum that houses findings of the city.

KANTANAGAR TEMPLE: DINAJPUR
Kantanagar Temple is an eighteenth century brick temple, situated about 18 km north of Dinajpur town. The most ornamental temple in Bangladesh. It rises in three diminishing stages and originally showed a Navaratna ( nine – towered) disposition. Most of the Ratnas are now lost. The wall surface of the entire temple is lavishly decorated with terracotta plaques depicting Hindu mythological scenery. It was built in 1772 AD by the local land owner aristocrat family. It had lost the spires during the devastating earthquake of 1897. The whole temple is covered with terracotta plaques that describe stories of ten incarnations of Lord Visnu especially from the epic poems Ramayana and Mahavarata.

 

  1. MUJIBUR RAHMAN’S TOMB

Born on 17 March 1920 in the village Tungipara, Gopalganj, Sheikh Mujibur Rhman joined in active politics in 1949 and was very prominent and bold figure during Pakistani rule in Bangladesh. Eventually he became the most supreme leader for the country during the more than 9 months long war against Pakistan. He was given the title “Bangabandhu” which means the ‘Friend of Bengal’ in 1969. He was the first President of independent Bangladesh and is called the father of the nation. This prominent leader, along with his family, was assassinated on August 15, 1975 and was buried in Gopalganj. Bangladesh Government constructed the Tomb at his grave in honour and hundreds of people visit to pay homage to him.

 

 

LAKSMANAVATI GOUR : Taha Khana, Gour

The site sprawls over roughly 5 sq. km area in the Shibgonj thana of Chapai Nawabganj district and in the bordering areas with Maldaha district of India. It accommodates some sparse medieval monuments and demonstrates the place where the suburb of the first capital of the sultans of Bengal, Gauda by name was established in the 13th century AD. However, the capital continued  to flourish excepting some short interludes, till the downfall of the sultans in 1538 AD. To understand the grandeur of the bygone city there one can still visit the Chotosona Mosque (1493-1518AD) Darasbari Madrasa (1504 AD.) Darasbari Mosque (1479 AD), Khania Dighi Mosque (15th century AD), Dhunichak Mosque (15th cent. AD), Shah Sujas Taha Khana (Turkish Bath) (17th centaury AD) and Shah Niamatullah Walli’s Tomb-Mosque complex (17th centaury A.D.).

 

LAKSMANAVATI>GOUR/GOUDA: RAJSHAHI

In the town of Gaur, visitors to Bangladesh will find a religious attraction that has often been described as one of the most breathtaking examples of Sultanate architecture. Build during the reign of Sultan Hussain Shah, between 1493 AD and 1519 AD. The magnificent fifteen domes of the mosque were once gilded in gold, giving the mosque the name of Small Golden Mosque or as it is generally known, the Chhota Sona Masjid. Stone pillars, breathtaking archways, intricate mihrabs, terracotta art and delicate finishes that have survived through the centuries assist visitors in envisioning how the mosque must have look upon completion.

LAWACHARA RAIN FOREST: SRIMANGAL
This is a reserved forest located about 12km from Sri Mangal Town, and approximately 212km from Dhaka. The forest has an area of 4,750 hectares. It was declared National Park in 1997. Biological Diversity in the Lawachara National Park consists of 460 species, of which 167 species are Plants, 4 amphibians species, 6 reptile species, 246 bird species, and 20 mammal species.
Hoolock gibbon (Bunopithecus hoolock) is one seriously endangered higher primate that lives in this forest. It is also called a Bird Safari. Birds of different species are found here and anyone can always trek along the adventurous mud stairs, carved into the hills, while listening to the continuous chirping of birds.

SITAR VANAVASA>SITAKOT VIHARA: DINAJPUR

Situated in village Fatehpur Maras under Nowabgonj Thana of Dinajpur district, the site has yielded the impoverished remains of a brick – built Buddhist monastery. It is medium in size, roughly 65.5m each side, and has yielded a number of movable antiquities, i.e. bronze sculptural pieces of Mahayana origin, iron dagger, terracotta net- sinker, terracotta cone, carved brick, potteries of early medieval origin etc. On ground of style they are datable to the circa 7th – 8th century AD.

 DEVAPARVATA – LAHIITAGIRI – MAINAMATI –LALMAI: COMILLA

It is a hilly terrain with an average height of 15m in the district of Comilla. It stands in a northsouth alignment with its length extending over 17km and average breath 2.5km. At different points of its slope there lie a number of older structural ruins pertaining to temple, Stupa and Vihara. Along with these ruins some tools made of fossilized wood (could be of pre-historic origin?), both Hindu and Buddhist sculptures, metallic coins ornaments, potteries, metallic utensils, seals and sealings, copper plates etc. Have  also      been salvaged. On stylistic ground they may be dated in the circa 7th – 13th century AD. Scholars are of opinion that there lie the ruins of a southeastern Bengali capital, Devaparvata’ by name, in a corner of the hill range. There was another capital called jaykarmantavaska in an adjoining corner of the Mainamati-Lalmai Hill Range. There has an archaeological museum and a rest house in Salvana village which occupies the mid-most point of Maiinamati – Lalmai Hill Range.

 SUVARNAGRAM>SONARGAON: NARAYANGANJ

The  oldest capitals of Bengal, Situated near the eastern peripheral land of Dhaka at about 27 km distance from the zero Point, the site represents the substantial remains of an early medieval bygone city called Suvarnagram>Sonargaon. It now accommodates a mosque called Gowaldi Masjid built in stone – brick masonry ( 1519 AD), a tomb built entirely of carved stone called Sultan Giasuddin Azam shah Mazar, a bridge ( 17th cent AD), a tomb complex and some sparse structural vestiges. There is also a folk museum at one corner of the site. Another attraction of the site is an early modern settlement called Panam City. It lies on the close vicinity of Sonargaon.

Sonargaon was the seat of Dev Dynasty until the 13TH century. From then onward till the advent of the Mughals, Sonargaon was the subsidiary capital of the sultanate of Bengal. The ancient monuments, which are still intact over there includes, the tomb of sultan Ghiasuddin (1399-1409 AD). The shrines of Panch Pir and Shah Abdul Alla a beautiful mosque in Goaldi village.

 SOMAPURA MAHAVIHARA AT PAHARPUR: NAOGAON

Paharpur, an important archaeological site in Bangladesh, situated in village Paharpur under Badalgachi Thana of Naogaon district, the site contains the structural ruins of a single unit of Buddhist monastery which is being considered as the single largest of its kind on the south of the Himalayas. The site was first noticed by Buchanon Hamilton in course of his survey in Eastern India between 1807 and 1812. But regular and systematic excavation was jointly started here in 1923 by Archaeological Survey of India, Varendra Research Museum of Rajshahi and Calcutta University. Excavation unearthed a Buddhist monastery that was built during the period from 780 AD to 830 AD by Dharma Pala, the second king of Pala Dynasty. The site comprises of a nearly rectangular surrounding wall with minor structures like refectory hall, kitchen, well, small Stupas etc. and a central Stupa, the monastery accommodates  a rectangular (280.5m+280m) open courtyard with a lofty pyramidal temple to a little west of its central point and a line of monastic cells in each of its four wings. The main entrance on the north is outcropping beyond its perimeter and is open through two pillared halls with a group of cells on both sides. The central temple stands on a cruciform bade where in it contains 63 stone sculptural pieces in a line of niches. Moreover, each cornice of its each stage is decorated with carbed bricks depicting Lozenge, dentils, chain, chess-board, pyramidal representation and so on. Below these cornices there are friezes of terracotta Plawuer depicting several views from the folk life of the 8th -9th century AD. About 2800 plaques have been recorded so far. The stupa has a cruciform foundation for a hollow chamber supported by four identical wings in four directions. The site has an adjacent museum that houses findings in the surrounding.